Friday, September 11

Even better news!

I have known for sometime this was to happen but hesitated to share the news. I quess because I find it so hard to believe. God is indeed good! When the Carrollton team went last spring Terri's (team leader) son Ryan was on the team. He is 25, a great mature Christian (his father is a pastor) and has a degree in marketing. Having grown up in the church world he knows of ministries stateside and internationally. He liked the work Partners for Care was doing through the Kenyan staff. And, the PFC staff loved Ryan! Two months ago he contacted me and to my suprise said he wanted to quit his job and go to Kenya to help grow the PFC ministry. We talked about what role he would have and about his goals and PFC goals. I could not at this moment think of anything better that could be happening for PFC. We are a young ministry and I have no experience in working in a developing nation with a non-profit organization! Ryan will be Assistant Director for Partners for Care. He has already started work here in the US for the ministry and on Monday leaves for Kenya. Here is his letter he sent out to raise support for the next three months. You can see by his letter he is creative.
Dear friend, In a prominent Christian Missionary magazine last month, advice was given out to all potential persons writing mission support letters that "letters should be sent to people in 3 categories: people who love GOD, people who love you, and people who love both." Hopefully this letter finds you in one of those categories, and more than likely the first category. I will send a letter to my mom, so that should cover the third.
I have spent much time thinking about the person I am and the man I want to become. And for someone, whose background has been immersed in athletics and business, it has become quite a habit for me to reflect on where I am now and how can I can become the man that God wants me to be. Becoming a stronger Christian has become a journey that has no end.
One of the ways that I have gone about this journey, is to redefine some old religious rules, some biblical and some traditional, into new rules that I think exemplify what it means to truly follow Jesus. This brings me to the first rule I want to change in my own life. Be faithful. We have all heard this rule and it truly is a staple for the Christian life. It seems to me being faithful has transformed into an excuse for being passive. We have all said or have heard it said, "God will open a door" and then we will wait to see what he has in store for us. For me, that kind of faith brings about a passiveness in my life that was not intended, and a focus on what God will do for ME, and not what I can do for God.
So I'm changing the rule. Do Something Stupid. Now by using the word stupid, I really mean do something that would seem stupid to a person who only looks on the outside. For example, a shepherd boy with no armor fighting one-on-one with one of the most experienced battle-hardened warrior giant in history? Stupid. A man jumping out of a boat on storming seas because he thinks he can run across the water to meet another man. What an idiot. You get my point. Instead of waiting of God to open up doors for us, I believe we are to open up our own doors and then have faith that God will be on the other side. The idea of this kind of faith is much more proactive than the former. This idea of faith takes the focus off of ourselves and places it back on God.
My stupid move of recent? I quit my great job at Bridgestone Golf at a time when having a job is a blessing, and I am moving to Kenya, Africa for three months for an director internship for an organization called "Partners for Care." Beginning September 14th, I will help lead a team of Kenyans in Nairobi. This organization runs an orphanage for children with AIDS, helps maintain a Community enrichment organization in the middle of the second largest slum in Africa, and hosts a tour of AIDS awareness programs throughout the country. You might be thinking, "What an idiot." But I have spent many months praying about this decision and ultimately decided that this is a door I need to open myself and have faith God will be on the other side, I want to be proactive in my faith and this is a great opportunity. Many people have asked me what will I do for money while I am over there and what I will do when I get back to pay the bills. My answer is I honestly don't know but I continue to step forward in faith.
My plan is to undertake one so-called "rule of being a Christian" each and every week while in Africa, using my experiences over there as a lens, and transform them into something that I believe might make them much more real in my life…maybe even yours! I would love if you would send me your e-mail address so you might participate with me in this study, as well as update you on undertakings of the organization.
This week, I would encourage you in your own life to take a proactive view on faith, let it be something that propels you forward. Do Something Stupid.
I ask that you would pray diligently for me as I embark on this trip to Kenya, and I would greatly appreciate any monetary gifts that you feel led to give to help cover my expenses while in Africa.
God Bless,
Ryan Morris
His approach worked - he raised his support.
Grateful to God for His servant Ryan,
Connie

Sent via Cingular Xpress Mail with Blackberry

No comments: